I would like to take a minute away from studying to give a big round of applause (or if you prefer, a round of a hand) to brains everywhere for taking such beating day in and day out. They have a pretty thankless job, and take all the heat for our every mistake, and slip up. Well I suppose it is their fault, but we need to give em some slack every once in a while. Think of how much crazy random and cool stuff is being kept safe in our memories up there! Well for most people; after failing to learn Community Nutrition for the last few hours, I imagine the inside of my head as a dark and dreary place with some cobwebs in the back and maybe a tumbleweed rolling on by every once in a while. But that's ok, we're still friends. I actually even feel smarter now than I did last week, which is proof that I must have absorbed at least something in the last few days of cramming.
In celebration of the brain, today's post is brought to you by the number 18 because it's the age at which your brain stops growing, and the letter Q..for pancake! (sorry, really long story from about 5 years ago at an canoe club pancake brekkie...I am quite possibly the only person to ever remember the incident (thanks to my brain of course!))
For your brain's pleasure, here are some fun brain facts!
- your brain is capable of having more ideas than the number of atoms in the known universe!
- if you could harness the power used by your brain, you could power as a 10-watt light bulb
- the brain itself is incapable of feeling pain
- Your brain uses 20% of your body's energy, but it makes up only 2% of your body's weight.
- Your cerebral cortex is about as thick as a tongue depressor. It grows thicker as you learn and use it.
- Information in your brain travels at about 268 miles per hour, unless of course you are drunk, then things really slow down.
- Albert Einsteins brain weighed 1,230 grams (2.71 lbs), significantly less then the human average of 1,300g to 1,400g (3 lbs).