Monday, May 24, 2010

Summer Lovin'

I got my first taste of island summer this weekend and I have to admit, it was just as glorious as everyone keeps telling me.

(Sambo and I at Canoe Cove today)

The only thing missing was a BBQ, which I don't own unfortunately. My intentions for the weekend were to be super productive and get lots of work done. I wanted to go into my last week of internship with everything done and ready for my presentation on Friday. Needless to say, that didn't happen. It was sunny and hot all weekend, so I spent as much time outside as possible, went for a few walks along the boardwalk, lunch with friends on patios, had some drinks on my deck, soaked in the sun and jumped some rope in the backyard. There are few crucial PEI summer happenings that I have yet to experience. The first is a field party; which I am told is a high school thing only, but I still might crash one before I leave in 2 weeks. The second is a bonfire; I almost went to one this weekend but plans fell through unfortunately. I want to roast marshmallows, make s'mores and roast hot dogs and cut them so they turn into octopus when roasted on the fire. I realize this may make me sound like I am about 5 years old and that's ok. I like to think I'm young at heart.
I found out today that I will be home for the MCC home regatta! This is basically the best news I have heard in a very long time! I love home regatta! I'm going to try to sneak into a war canoe if I can, even though I haven't paddled since Nationals. I'll have about a week to train up between the time I get home and the regatta so I might be able to survive the 180 meter race. Mostly I'm excited because it means everyone will be in one place for a whole day. The problem with only being home for one week this year (between Christmas Holidays and Christmas Holidays) is that you have all these intentions of seeing everyone and hanging out with everyone but there just isn't enough time to fit everything in! So I am apologizing in advance to anyone I said I would go see and don't get to. Luckily almost everyone I want to see will be at home regatta which is extremely convenient. While I'm home, I also really want to go to the Harry Potter Exhibition at the Ontario Science Center. I love that guy.
The problem with getting a 3 day taste of summer is that it makes internship look a lot less appealing. Obviously I'm not complaining because I have loved interning at the hospital and will be sad my placement is over. But at the moment, all the school work associated with internship is a huge pain, and my presentation on Friday is looming above my head like an annoying fly buzzing in my ear that won't go away no matter how many times I swat and swear at it. But, this time next week it will all be over...until I get to Kenya. Wouldn't it be nice if all summer I could be free of responsibilities, and just roam around the city in flip flops, pony tails and sunglasses? Taking trips to the beach on a whim, reading books in my deck with a cold beer in hand and watching Earl explore the grassy backyard, munching on ants? Sign me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment