Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Awfully Familiar...

Upon reading the Globe and Mail this morning, I came across an awfully familiar story.

It seems as though I'm not the only advocate for humane mouse traps. This story, however, ends happily ever after and the mouse is set free into the wild... most likely to quickly find it's way back into this guy's house. Our humane trap didn't work, but I would not have set the little guy free across the street; I was planning on driving out to Summerside or Cavendish or as far as I could get. Heck, if the bridge didn't cost 41.50$ to cross, I would have dropped the mouse off in New Brunswick. As it turns out, we are hosting an army of mice and not just one so the humane trap might not have been the best option. Weekly trips to Summerside would, quite frankly, take way more time than I have. But it made me feel better that I wasn't the only one initially having so many issues with the wooden mouse trap. I am looking forward to an update and will be checking back in anticipation in a few days.

In other news, the USDA is taking action to improve the quality of organic dairy. Since 2002, in order to label a dairy product 'organic' the cows simply had to have access to pasture, there were no regulations stating that they had to be fed on pasture. The USDA has just issued new rules that will become effective starting in June. Check out this post from Marion Nestle on her Food Politics blog (you can find the link to the blog to your left). Our food system is so messed up, but I suppose it's nice to see at least a minor improvement taking place. Hopefully it leads to more substantial regulation and policy changes across all sectors of the industry in the near future. It's a start though...

No comments:

Post a Comment