Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Side of Town

Things at school are finally starting to wind down, as evidenced by the fact that I actually went for coffee and brought with me a book to read for pleasure. It wasn't a text book, it wasn't a journal article about the effects of vitamin D on diabetes risk, it wasn't a paper I was writing or even someone elses paper I had to peer review. It was a book, like the type of thing a normal non-student type of person might read. I love to read, but sometimes school just sucks all the fun out of it. When you're reading hundreds of pages every week for various courses, it's hard to even think about reading anything else. Your eyes are tired, your brain hurts and you can't justify reading for pleasure when you know there is another 50 page text book chapter that needs to get read in the next day or two. I'm currently reading Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. It's the first in a new trilogy and so far so good! I'm only about 200 pages in (about a 1/4 of the way through the book) but I'm looking forward to having time to actually read more than 5 pages at a time without falling asleep.

I've had the same Michael Buble CD playing on repeat in my car for a few months now. The problem with the radio is that it sucks on PEI, plus I find that I'm always afraid I'm missing something better so I flick through the channels non-stop which even annoys myself when I do it, never mind any passengers I might be carrying. I'm normally rushing around in my car, so Michael is nice and chill and calms me down I guess, either that or it's because he's one of the only cds I actually own in PEI right now. This week was a little bit epic though because I bought a new cd and switched it up! Katie McGarry is in 4th year nutrition with me and released her first album in October called My Side of Town. I've been meaning to pick up a copy since the release date but I either never thought of it when I saw her or I didn't have cash on me. I finally bought a copy though and now have Katie's cd going on repeat in my car. Her album is quite good! You can buy it online and listen to a sampler by clicking here.

This week has been dedicated to two things: Stocking my freezer with delicious homemade ready to heat meals, and free fitness classes at as many places as I can get myself into. I bought a 40 day intro month to Moksha yoga and have been going about 4-5 times a week and absolutely loving it. I also got a 15 days for 15$ pass at Pilates Dynamic Fitness downtown. Age and I went to a Core Dynamic class on Tuesday and I can still barely breath my abs hurt so much! It's awesome and I will definitely be going back next week! They also have hot yoga, spin classes and group classes that I want to check out before the pass expires. Unfortunately I'm in Halifax for swimming Friday-Sunday so I miss a whole weekend of free (well almost free) classes at both places. I'm excited to race this weekend but I'm really loving being able to switch up my workout so frequently and trying all these new things in the various classes. If only I didn't have to go to school and could just go to different fitness classes all day instead!

I'm pretty sure if you tried hard enough you could get a whole semester or more of cheap intro classes and deals. I'm probably going to try to do that next semester. These classes get really expensive if you just pay as you go! At 15 ish bucks a pop they don't really fit into a student's budget.

I'm going to the opening midnight showing of Harry Potter tonight! I was going to go Monday but some swimmers decided that waiting was for suckers so we got our tickets and are anxiously waiting for midnight to come. I might need a nap this afternoon though...can't even remember the last time I stayed up that late!

No comments:

Post a Comment