Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hips Don't Lie

Long weekends are fabulous. Its only Saturday and I can't help but having to keep reminding myself that it's ONLY Saturday, which means two more glorious days of weekend left! Sam ended up heading home this weekend so I lost my partner in crime for the Christmas Craft Fair in Summerside but it's probably for the best anyways because I have a ton of school work to do and in retrospect, I have no idea how I ever thought it would get done if I spent the whole day in Summerside today.

I started my Saturday morning by sleeping in. I didn't even set an alarm clock which is pretty monumental in itself. I woke up at 8:30 pumped that I had slept in, and extra pumped because a) the sun was pouring in through my window, and b) the hot yoga class I wanted to go to started at 9:30 which gave me enough time to leisurely pack a bag and head to the studio. It was my first 90 minute class at this studio, and my first class with this particular instructor. The class was packed, as I expected it would be, so I was glad to get there early and get a good spot. I know it was only my third class, but I already kind of have a "spot" in the class where I always set up my mat. It's probably some other veterans spot too though, and I'm sure they were likely cursing at me under their breath when they walked in and saw my laying there. Either that or I'm the only one ridiculous enough to be territorial over a random spot on a floor in a room.

Class was soo hard! I was to excited and forgot to eat breakfast before class which likely didn't help, but by half way through the class I actually felt like I was going to vomit. I was nauseous, my whole body hurt and all my muscles were shaking with exhaustion. But the instructor kept coming over and readjusting me and catching me every single time I slacked even a little bit which terrified me into trying really hard despite my legs shaking beneath me in Warrior pose. I was physically really into the class today but I had a lot of trouble quieting my mind, letting go and relaxing. I'm not sure if it was because I went into it thinking it was a workout as opposed to just enjoying the class to relax, or if it was my exhaustion or if it was the instructor tweaking my position every pose. Either way I learned today that hip stretches make me really really grumpy. Particularly Half Happy Baby pose. There is nothing happy about it. They say that your hips hold a lot of emotion, and if today was any indication, then it's definitely true. Bluergh. I don't know how it's possible that a particular yoga pose can make you grouchy but it was like something just clicked and I was in a bad mood. As soon as we switched it up though I was fine.

I'm sitting in Starbucks right now working on a paper about the impact of adequate serum vitamin D status on the risk of developing diabetes (by working I mean blogging, checking facebook every few minutes, people watching etc) and I can't help but listen to the conversation that's going on at the table beside me. They're talking about Iron deficiency and Iron deficiency anemia and all this stuff that some hollistic nutritionist told them. All I want to do is jump in and answer the questions they are pondering. Is this incredibly rude? I don't really want to jump in and be like "oh by the way, I've been eavesdropping HARDCORE and can't help but jump in and give you ladies a quick little tutorial on the pathophysiology of iron, hemoglobin and how deficiency slash anemia occurs and how it can be prevented and treated." They've now moved on to B12 and I think I might be starting to twitch a bit sitting here listening, trying not to stare and open my big fat mouth. It's one of the many hardships of this profession. I guess I better get used to it....

No comments:

Post a Comment