Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Comeback Frustrations and Aches

I LOVE swimming! I absolutely love being back into training! The last year has been tough. I never really found the balance between training and sitting on my butt doing nothing. As hard as I tried to stay "active", I never figured out not to go big or go home. And then I went to Kenya, where I did little to no exercise and ate nothing but fried dough, beans and maize everyday.

But now I'm back to training! And it feels amazing! By amazing I mean that my whole body is sore and aching and stiff. It hurts to move. My legs are currently shaky and my muscles are spazing. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to get up the stairs to go to bed once Glee is over but I figure I'll figure that out in an hour.

As absolutely fabulous as coming back to training has been, it's been really frustrating at the same time. It's hard to do the things you used to do and not be able to do them nearly as well. It really sucks to be incredibly out of shape. I'm probably still in better shape than a lot of the general public, but it's crazy how much taking a year off can affect everything! I keep expecting myself to be able to do the things I could do this time a year and a half ago before the whole heart drama began. It's hard not to be disappointed with slower times in the pool, fewer chin-ups and lighter weights at the gym. I know I need to patient but it's hard! I wish I could snap my fingers and be back into the shape I used to be in. If only it were that easy!

For now I'm just going to enjoy working my butt off and hope that I regain the use of my legs in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment