Saturday, October 9, 2010

How 'Bout Them Apples?

I love Autumn, It's my favorite season. You get the best of both worlds...it's warm enough to do fun summery things like paddle, but it gets cool enough to be able to enjoy wintery things like hot apple cider and curling up on the couch with a quilt and a book. Today I got to enjoy fall in all it's glory. Thanksgiving is my all time favorite holiday. Not only is in it the fall, but it involves lots of delicious food, family and friends and fun outdoor activities. As a kid, Thanksgiving weekend meant gathering the whole fam jam together and heading to the Rockton Fair. In highschool, Thanksgiving weekend meant bundling up and freezing my butt off at Turkey Bowl Training camp in Ottawa. In University, I always get to go to Amherst to have dinner with my Nannie and Grampi and my sister and one year my mom. Although it's been WAY too long since I've been able to enjoy my Grandma's turkey dinner and sausage stuffing, I have yet to be disappointed by a single Thanksgiving.

To celebrate fall, and thanksgiving, a few of us girls headed out into the country for a fun filled day of fall festivities.

We started out at the Farmer's Market so Age could get some bread and we could get our Java fix. Then we headed to Wintermoor Orchards to pick some apples.
Ready to apple pick!

We got our stretch on trying to get the best ones.


Then Jess found a ladder!

Mission Accomplished!

We stopped to see some goats on the way to Vesey's for the GIANT PUMPKIN Weigh Off.

We made friends with a Pumpkin.
...and some scarecrows.


We went for a Tractor Ride around the Farm.

The winning pumpkin weighed 1075 pounds!!!

Then Sam and I went to The Dunes for a Farmer's Helping Farmer's Fundraiser lunch. All the menu items were made with locally grown ingredients.


I had Beet and Apple Soup as an appetizer.

Beef and Barley Stew with Roasted Vegetables as a main

And Frozen Maple Mousse with candied ginger for dessert! It looked to good to take a picture of before digging into it so this is just the empty glass.

Lunch was soo good! The perfect ending to a fabulous fall day! It wasn't quite the end...I had to go into work for 6.5 hours but I was so chipper from the great day that I quite enjoyed being at work.

Tomorrow Sambo and I are off the Amherst to have dinner with Nannie and Grampi and Alex, I'm excited already!

No comments:

Post a Comment