Monday, April 4, 2011

Beer, Boxes and Bows

Classes for the year are over! I officially will no longer be an undergrad in class ever again! I just have 5 more exams to get through and then I will be a University Graduate! It's actually insane!

I can't believe that it has been four years since I first came to UPEI. I got to UPEI half way through frosh week after everyone else had moved in because I was at a pre-world championships dragon boat training camp outside of Kingston. My grandparents and their friends met me at the airport with all my stuff loaded into a van and moved me into residence. I had never actually seen the campus before I moved there so I'm sure I was wide eyed and nervous pulling up to residence. I do not recommend moving across the country without ever having even seen the campus before, but luckily for me, it worked out. The guy working at the front desk who took my picture for my student ID card eventually ended up being my roommate in second year, and I remember meeting my neighbour in the elevator, who I am still really great friends with despite the fact that he now lives on the opposite side of the country (I found out today I get to see him at Convocation in May and am beyond super stoked!!) I don't really remember when I met all my friends here, or when I started hanging out with the people who are now my inner circle, but at some point between the group assignments, the parties, and the stress of it all, we became tight.

We celebrated Friday night by having a little get-together at our place.
Most of the nutrition girls came out (4th years aka graduating girls pictured above, but more 3rd year nutrition peeps also come out, and in the year below us there are actually guys!), along with the swim team, work friends and friends of friends of each of the three of us who live in the house. It was a great way to end the semester of classes and blow of some steam before settling into the books for the next two weeks of studying. Tuck surprised me by bringing her very last bottle of Tusker with her for us to share! Tusker is a Kenyan brewed beer that we drank while we were there.

Saturday we went to Jess's Mom's house for another fabulous dinner! And this time the fun was supercharged because it also included crafts! Jess hates crafts, but I happen to LOVE them!
We had lasagna, spinach salad, homemade bread (it was even still warm!), guacamole with tortilla chips and apple cake for dessert. A little bit of a random meal but that's exactly why potlucks are best! After dinner Jess's mom taught us how to make boxes out of card stock and bows out of ribbon. It took about an hour of measuring, gluing, cutting and double-sided taping to produce our lovely boxes and bows. It made me feel like I was in elementary school again which was the most perfect post-big meal, pre-exam stress way to spend the night. The fabulous company I was in didn't hurt either. (Can you tell by the picture how genuinely Jess LOVES crafts? That smile says it all..)

In other exciting news, I FINALLY got news about internship placements today! I have been super stressed out about the fact that I didn't have a single placement set up for this summer and because I don't even know if we have funding to go back to Kenya yet! (We'll know in the next week..fingers are crossed) So before today I was moving home without actually knowing how long I would be there, where or what I'd be doing all summer or if I should be planning on travelling across the world again. I found out today that I have ALL my placements about 95% confirmed! I'll be doing my 10 weeks of foodservice placements at a long term care facility right downtown Toronto, where I will also be doing about 4 weeks of my clinical rotations at the same establishment. The remaining 6 weeks of my clinical rotation will be at a hospital in Richmond Hill. Richmond Hill will be a bit of a commute but it's only 6 weeks, and I can still live at home until I find a real job and am forced to be an actual grown up. I should be all finished internship mid-November, just in time to graduate from the internship program with my awesome fellow 4th year interns! Now that all this is figured out I am finally actually excited for Summer! My first of 5 exams in 7 days is tomorrow, so my blog may be a little but on the quiet side for the next few days...unless of course I use it as a means to procrastinate...which is very possible.

In yoga today we did 15 minutes of meditation at the end and were told to focus on one of two places...our hearts if we were emotional or our brains if we were more academically minded (there are actual yoga terms for these which are not heart and brain...they might be two different shakra's but I don't remember) and I focused on my brain in hopes that it might make me smarter for exams. Somehow I think trying to manipulate yoga to make me do better in school defeats the purpose and might actually have plagued me with bad selfish karma but meditating for marks sounded like a better option than actually studying at that point in my day! Anyways, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment