Thursday, August 18, 2016

High, Low, High

What to write and where to start? So many random things to share! Some great, some 'meh' so I thought a High Low High post (inspired by carrotsncake.com) would be appropriate!

High
Finally feeling in the groove in my new position at work. It's been 6 ish weeks but this week I finally feel like I was able to cross off some of the "to dos" that have been sitting on my desk since I started.  I actually have time now to tackle some of the side items that don't require immediate attention. Nothing makes me happier than crossing things off a list! I'm still struggling a bit with some scheduling issues with staff but with 40 people in the department I'm not sure that will ever change. It's a balancing act for sure! We have accreditation coming up too so the various committees I sit on have been busier than usual as well. I'm still learning so much, and still have a lot to learn but the curve doesn't feel quite as steep! I think the most important thing I've learned so far is how to be decisive. I'm usually so bad at this, and it takes me forever to make decisions! But I have people coming to me for answers now and I need to be able to make split second decision and stick with them.

Low
My beloved Macbook that I've had since second year university is officially dunzo. I was watching the Olympics and set it on top of Max's dresser while I was getting him ready for the day and turns out it was within his reach because he grabbed for it, it fell and smashed to the ground. The screen is barely hanging on by a couple wires but the plastic is shattered and there is no repairing the damage. Remarkably, it still functions! The Olympic canoe/kayak events I was watching at the time didn't even skip! We had JUST gotten internet back after not having it for the summer too! I hate things like this because  they feel self-inflicted.

High
In 2 weeks I'm going home to see my fam jam! We're flying into Toronto and then heading to Montreal to see Chris' family. It'll be a whirl-wind trip (like they always seem to be) but I'm super excited. Flying with a 19 month old doesn't sound particularly fun but my sister is on the same flight as us so there will be lots of helping hands. I want to take Max to the zoo while we're home but I think our schedule is pretty booked solid! I'm sure we'll still squeeze in lots of fun stuff though.

Low
I've been feeling like poop lately. It's 100% because I haven't been exercising regularly or eating well. Another self-inflicted low. I'm not sure why but I just can't seem to get into a groove with either this summer. My workout buddy is moving to BC next week which is also a little bit tragic. Hay River is so transient and despite knowing this, it doesn't make it any easier as one by one all your friends move out of town. I was doing well while I was training for the triathlon but they postponed the race to September when I'm in Ontario so I kind of just stopped training since I couldn't race. Watching the Olympics has made me miss training so much. But it also made me appreciate the life I have now.  In an interview about retirement, canoe/kayak super star Adam Van Koeverden commented that he "derives almost all his happiness" from the sport. I get it, I've been in a place where my whole life revolved around the sport and I had to face moving on. But when I heard that it made me feel so lucky that I have Max and Chris and the life we've built that makes me so happy. I can't imagine how hard it must be for him to retire after so many years of training and being the top dog in Canada (and the world!) for so long.


High
Lets end on a high note! It's still summer! This summer has gone by so incredibly fast! I feel like we haven't had time to do as much fun summer stuff this year but we went camping at the beach last weekend and it was awesome. These last few weeks soaking up the rest of summer will be spend biking with Max, building sand castles and playing in the waves at the beach, spending as much time outside as possible while we still can, and taking the time to slow down and enjoy this stage of life. Oh and I guess another HIGH is that we got legally married on Friday! It's official now and not just pretend! Once we get our marriage certificate, I can start changing my last name, which is exciting and terrifying at the same time...but that might be a post on its own haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment