Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Learning Curve

I’ve been MIA for much longer than I anticipated! And while I’d love to tell you it’s because I’ve been too busy doing fun things that would only be half true.

The half-truth – I have been doing fun things! My Sister-in-law, her husband and my niece are in town visiting so we’ve been busy playing host. The last week has been filled with beach bonfires and cookouts, quading trips, sidewalk chalk, gardening and quality togetherness. 

The other half – work has been a bit overwhelming. I think I underestimated just how much more my new job would demand of my time and brain power. My work days are longer, I’m mentally drained at the end of the day, and I am on call 24/7 for any issues that arise. By on call I mean that my work cell phone is constantly buzzing with messages of employees calling in sick or no-showing or requesting time off.  It’s rough time for staffing. It’s summer holidays, we’ve just moved into a new hospital, I have 2 vacant positions and there’s a flu going around. I’m definitely been thrown into the deep end! But on the bright side it will settle down, I will get the hang of it, it will get easier. I expected it to be crazy for the first little while. Having family visiting at the same time has just been an extra challenge.  He’s picked up all the slack at home and has done literally all the cooking and cleaning since he got home. He understands when I’m rushing to work at 7am after a work phone call wakes us up.  I’m sad he’s leaving tomorrow for another 2 weeks. But I’m hoping I’ll have found my work/life groove in his absence. I’m also planning on taking my meal prep to the next level to make eating healthy over the next two weeks possible for both me and Max man.


I have so many ideas for posts and of course I’m keeping a list of them all so that I can write them eventually. But for now I just wanted to pop in mostly to reassure myself in writing that this job won’t be all consuming forever. Every day gets a little better and I am anticipating being a total rock star by this time next year :)



No comments:

Post a Comment