Sunday, May 8, 2011


Contrary to popular belief, I haven't actually vanished off the face of the planet. I have no reason for taking a two week hiatus from the blogosphere, but the last two and a half weeks have been extremely busy and a bit crazy.

I didn't really do anything productive at all but yet I somehow kept myself busy most days. I hung out at the canoe club a bit, braved the freezing cold and rainy weather on the creek and got to get back into my boat after almost an entire year land locked. I love my boat, and I don't think I will ever get sick of paddling. It's strange being at the canoe club and not training though. I just kind of did my own thing, jumped in on a work out or two with the younger group (aka the only group I can still keep up with!) and tried not to tip. I didn't stress about missing a practice, I got to decide for myself if it was cold enough to swap a paddle for a run or weights and I didn't even think twice about sleeping through a morning practice. It's such a different mentality than I'm used to having. I don't think I've managed to find a balance yet though - I went from one extreme to the other and give myself way to much slack sometimes when it comes to getting my butt to the canoe club or the gym or the yoga studio. But whatever, I'm sure that once I get into a routine with internship and work and everything I'll figure it out. The hardest part about going home, and in this case moving home until further notice, is the lack of structure and routine. I like routine. I like having a plan for the next day before I go to bed at night. I like to know what and when I'll eat, where I'll be when and I like feel as though I'm being productive. This isn't so easy when you have no school work, no job and really nothing to accomplish. I'm actually really happy to have a job and internship placements when I get home in June, I don't think I can handle another few weeks of having nothing to do every day!

While I was home, my trip to Kenya got changed from May to June, which subsequently meant that my internship placements would all have to be changed and that the Dietitians who had been willing to take me on for the summer could no longer take me as an intern because of the 4 week shift in dates they'd be stuck with me trailing along behind them. Needless to say I was not a happy camper and was stressing out hardcore. I'm pretty sure I was convinced for a few hours that I was never going to find anyone to take me and that I was going to be an intern for the rest of my life and living in my parent's basement until I was 50. Not that I overreact ever or anything. Anyways, so I eventually calmed down, and a few days later got notice that the trip was back on in May, and that my originally planned internship placements were still a go. Phew!

Last week, about 9 days before I was scheduled to be boarding a plane to Africa, I get an e-mail from the University apologizing for having LOST my PASSPORT! Cue a teary breakdown followed by intense grumpiness, as evidenced by my new passport pictures that I needed to have taken. My eyes are red and puffy and I have a scowl on my face that could represent nothing less than the deepest loathing possible. I filled out all the forms and took them to the passport office that same day just to find out that I needed to write out a detailed description of how the passport was lost and have a lawyer or notary or a commissioner of oaths sign off that the story was in fact true. Since I didn't know any lawyers or notaries, the passport office recommended I go to City Hall to the Commissioner of Oaths, so I drove straight there. But of course he only works 4 hours a week, two hours on two separate days. Luckily, he was working the next morning so I was able to get it signed and back to the passport office the next afternoon. 200 dollars later, I was able to get my passport back 5 days before travelling. The only catch was that I also still needed to send my passport to Ottawa to obtain a Kenyan visa. It all somehow ended up working out in the end, and my passport is now safely (I hope!) sitting at the University, complete with a Kenyan visa, ready to be picked up.

I also managed to get into my very first fender-bender. Unfortunately my very first car, lovingly known as the Mary Kay, is officially dunzo. It would cost more to fix the car than it did to buy over a year ago. I'm actually ridiculously sad about it. On the bright side, no one in any of the three cars involved was hurt.

I finished my undergraduate degree at the University of Prince Edward Island, earning a Bachelor of Science in Foods and Nutrition. I graduated officially yesterday! My parents and I flew down east on Wednesday and my grandparents joined us on the island yesterday and last night for the ceremony. The weekend was full of grad events, and friends. I didn't realize how much I'd miss Charlottetown until I came back and realized that I don't actually live here anymore and won't likely be back on a regular basis. I guess it's finally sinking in that it's all really over. This weekend was definitely a highlight of my University career, not because I finally got the piece of paper that I spent countless hours working towards, but because I got to hang out with all my friends and my family at the same time. It was so fun to be able to introduce my friends and parents and to all hang out over drinks and delicious food. There's nothing like a post graduation ceremony lobster feed on the island with all the fixin's...

We leave on Tuesday morning super early, so in approximately 36 hours. I'm finally getting a chance to get excited about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment